New York, NY – too crowded, crazy and it smells! Trading in my camera gear! Wish I had more time.

6/6/2022 However, the pizza is great, walking around is wonderful, and there’s a boatload of sightseeing to do. I took the train in from Croton Point Park in Croton-On-Hudson, where I spent a few days camping. The commute into the city was easy because it was only a mile from the campground.
Once I entered Grand Central Station, my sense of direction was shattered. I have never been to New York and I had no idea where I was going. I had plans to meet up with my sister, Kathy and niece, Rylee, who were there to take in some theatre. I had other plans to meet some people, but my time was very short and I had to cancel one commitment.
I got off the MTA and walked around 7th Avenue, or Fashion Avenue as it’s also called and gawked at all of the people. You’d think that living in Chicago would have made this trip easy, but not! Guess I’ve been traveling in rural America too long 🙂 The first plan was to trade in some of my photo gear and I found B&H Photo nearby. OMG what a place! There is a side door where people can discreetly bring their equipment in and I worked with David, who helped me make decisions on what to unload. I traded in the Mind Shift camera bag, along with my 18-300mm lens, and the 90mm macro and a bunch of filters. My wide angle lens was going to be part of the trade in, but David noticed that the lens was in need of repair and offered to have it looked at before I made the decision to trade it in. He mentioned that the repairman wasn’t in yet, so I headed into the store for a look around. I spent some money! I bought a used Nikon D500 body and was told that people were trading in their DSLRs for mirrorless cameras, so I had a lot to choose from. The sales rep gave me the newest one with the least shots and I thought it was a fair price.
Then I went into the regular part of the store and it was like Christmas! There is a conveyor system installed near the top of the room and items were in bags and boxes moving around like a toy train. It was really fun to watch. Security is tight and these guys are no one to mess with. I bought a small 35mm lens for night photography and a new camera strap. You really need to know what you are looking for before heading into the store because it’s overwhelming to see all of this stuff!
David was everywhere I went, giving me updates on the repair of the lens while I was shopping. He was the super nicest man ever! Turns out that the repair was very simple and cost $50, but David gave me a refund and didn’t charge me. I LOVE THIS STORE! So, my zoom lens and 90mm macro are gone (regrets), but I have a new camera body and can’t wait to shoot the stars! I did keep the wide angle lens now that it’s fixed.

B&H Photo

Next up was a visit to MOOD Fabrics and there were aisles and aisles of gorgeous fabric! Would you believe that I didn’t buy any fabric! What!! I’ve been sewing all my life, but somehow couldn’t think of anything that I wanted or needed. I did buy some muslin so I wouldn’t feel guilty about not buying anything. I’ll check it out again someday. I guess I was more focused on my camera gear.

Mood Fabrics

I made an attempt to ride the subway to Ellis Island, but ended up going the wrong way, and skipped it. It would have been nice to see my grandpa’s paperwork. I did manage to visit the World Trade Center and the memorial, which was a sobering experience. The city places a white rose on each name of the person on their birthday. It was really touching.

After a second B&H visit, I spent the day with Kathy and Rylee and that was a lot of fun. We spent most of the day in Times Square. Their hotel room was awesome, right in the Theatre District. We went to Rockefeller Center, Madison Square Gardens, St. Patrick Cathedral and the NBC studios. The architecture here is amazing, as I expected. We had lunch at Olive Garden (thanks Kath!) and then I headed out to a dinner commitment with an old schoolmate and his partner. It was great to see John again and meet his wife, Lori. We had a lovely dinner and I got a tour of their loft. My evening ended around 9pm and John walked me to the corner and helped me catch a cab to the train station. I got back to the campground around 11:30 pm. It was a very long day, but a fun one.

Bottom line: The people of New York are very nice and helpful with directions. I wish I had a chance to experience more restaurants and do more sightseeing, but the hour long commute and not knowing the transit system restricted me from doing so. I need to do more research beforehand the next time. I’ll be back New York! Please don’t mind the blurry pics. Most were taken on my cell phone. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.